IPL Desk in Mumbai 05 February 2013 - 09:38am IST
Criteria for selecting IPL venues
Stadiums need the following to be eligible to host IPL matches
- A new stadium proposed to be constructed or proposed to be leased by the Association may also be included, and if a franchise is awarded for that stadium, matches played at an alternate venue until the new stadium is ready.
- The city where the stadium is located should be connected and should have an airport in the city or if there is no airport in the city, within 50km of the stadium.
- There should be 5 star hotels in the city and should be able to accommodate to the requirements of the IPL – teams, match officials etc.
- The stadium should have hosted international matches or if it has not hosted international matches, it should have hosted domestic matches and should have all necessary ground equipments and facilities, including broadcast & hospitality facilities, to a standard that would be expected for an international match.
- The stadium must have floodlights.
- The stadium should have a capacity of 20,000 or more.