Mumbai Indians batsman talks about his favourite things
By Shirin Sadikot
Mumbai 28 March 2012
Rohit Sharma is a prominent member of the young batting brigade of India. His vast repertoire of shots and lazy elegance make him a sight to behold at the batting crease.
In the IPL, Rohit plays for the Mumbai Indians, and is led by his idol, Sachin Tendulkar. While he prepares for IPL 2012, Rohit took some time off to chill with a T20 Q & A session with www.iplt20.com.
1. My favourite cuisine is Chinese. It’s a good thing that there are plenty of Chinese restaurants near my house.
2. My favourite beverage is hot chocolate.
3. My favourite movie is Veer Zara. I love watching romantic movies and I’m yet to watch a more touching movie than that.
4. My choice of music depends on where I am and in what mood [I am]. When I’m in my room, I listen to slow music. In the stadium, you want something like hip-hop, which keeps you going.
5. My favourite gadget is my mobile phone. It is something that’s always with me.
6. My mantra in life is to enjoy whatever you do and make sure at the end of the day when you look in the mirror you know you’ve done your best.
7. My idol is Sachin Tendulkar.
8. I can’t do without my family
9. Style for me is keeping it simple, and don’t overdo it. I firmly believe the simpler you dress, the more charming you look.
10. I have lots of good friends in cricket – guys like Praveen Kumar, Suresh Raina, Virat Kohli and of course, Yuvraj Singh.
11. The toughest bowler I’ve faced so far is Brett Lee, for a bunch of reasons. When I went to Australia for the first time, in 2008, he was at his peak. It was really difficult to score off him. He hardly bowled a loose ball, and you had to find ways to get runs off him.
12. My favourite non-cricketing sportsperson is Roger Federer. I like simplicity, and from whatever I’ve seen of Federer on TV, I find him to be a very simple man. I like the way he conducts him game and I’ve heard he’s a very humble person as well.
13. I have quite a few memorable cricketing moments. The World Twenty20 win in 2007 was special. The CB series win in Australia in 2008 was also memorable because there were a lot of youngsters in the team and we had to put up a good show to beat a team like Australia.
14. I’ve had an embarrassing moment on the field and I’m quite shy to speak about it. I was fielding at long-on in my international debut game in Ireland. I had to jump and slide to stop a ball and my pants rolled down. It was very embarrassing because there were a lot of people in the crowd behind me who laughed and also took pictures.
15. If I weren’t a cricketer, I’d be a regular freshly-graduated guy looking out for a nice little job.
16. I don’t have a particular favourite shot. I love all my shots.
17. My dream vehicle is the Aston Martin.
18. If I could have one super power, I’d want to have the power of the Hulk, so that I can hit every ball for a six.
19. If I were invisible for a day, I’d travel to as many places as I could
20. My message to the IPL opponents is watch out for me. I’ll come hard at you.