When he is not wielding the willow, Shane Watson is strumming the guitar. When he is not bludgeoning the opposition bowlers or taking wickets, the all-rounder loves to play John Lennon’s rendition of ‘Stand by me’.
The Australian hit the ground running when he joined his IPL franchise, the Rajasthan Royals, on May 1 for his first game of the tournament, after fulfilling his national duties. His all-round abilities and experience will boost his side’s morale after a string of defeats.
Meanwhile, in a brief interaction with iplt20.com, Watson spoke about his love for music and passion for cricket.
1.Nickname: Watto. I got it in school.
2. Idol: I had a few growing up. Steve and Mark Waugh were certainly my idols growing-up and so were Glenn McGrath and Craig McDermott. I had a number of idols growing up but I suppose the one person I love the most is probably Mark Waugh. The way he batted was so elegant the way he played [was] so [good]. He was the one person I always looked up to.
3. Life’s mantra: Enjoy life to the fullest.
4. Favourite cuisine: Japanese.
5. Favourite beverage: Wine.
6. I can’t do without: My music.
7. Favourite movie: Shawshank Redemption.
8. Favourite band: My favourite artist at the moment is Keith Urban.
9. Style statement: Understated.
10. Favourite TV series: Don’t watch that much television.
11. Best pal in cricket: Brett Lee.
12. Best bowler he has faced: Dale Steyn.
13. Best batsman he has bowled to: On his day, Virender Sehwag, but consistently, Sachin Tendulkar.
14. Favourite shot: The pull shot.
15. The best bowler in the world: Dale Steyn.
16. The best batsman in the world: Virender Sehwag.
17. Favourite stadium in the world: Sydney Cricket Ground.
18. Best innings: 160 against England at the MCG [161 not out against England at MCG, Jan 16 2011].
19. Best wicket you have taken: Danish Kaneria. He was my fifth wicket to get my first five-for at Lords [against Pakistan in July 2010].
20. If I weren’t a cricketer I’d be a: A musician.